Why You Should Consider Cosmetic Procedures After 50
Aging can drastically affect physical appearance and self-esteem. Every year, more men and women in their 50s opt for cosmetic procedures to reverse these effects. Apart from exercising, losing a bad habit, or eating healthy, cosmetic treatments offer a safe approach to self-improvement.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, people over 50 constitute the majority of cosmetic surgery clients. For most women, menopause occurs in their mid or early 50s, causing estrogen levels to drop, leaving the skin dry, slack, and thin. Men in their 50s also encounter these physical changes as collagen and elastin levels drop and muscle and fat content deplete or shifts.
- Best Cosmetic Procedures At 50
- Dermal Fillers
- V-Lyft: Facelift with Fat Transfer
- Laser Resurfacing
- Tummy Tuck
- Frequently Asked Questions
As the body undergoes changes in hormone regulation and connective tissues, the skin loses its elasticity, firm texture, and volume. At this stage, the skin will appear hollow, then develop wrinkles, fine lines, and sunspots. This article will discuss the best treatments to try in your 50s to help restore your youthful appearance and revitalise your skin.
Best Cosmetic Procedures At 50
The ultimate goal of cosmetic procedures in your 50s is to promote a youthful look and restore self-confidence. To select the most suitable treatment for you, you must first consider the following:
- What skin concerns are most important to you
- The level of invasiveness (surgical or nonsurgical) you are willing to withstand
- Your ultimate goals and expectations
Experts in the cosmetic industry will evaluate your concerns during consultation and suggest the most appropriate cosmetic procedure to achieve your goals. Read on to see our plastic surgeon-recommended list of cosmetic procedures to try in your 50s!
Dermal fillers are gel-like substances injected beneath the skin to correct volume loss, soften creases, and improve facial contours. Filler can also plump thin lips, enhance the symmetry of the nose, and encourage collagen production.
Benefits of Dermal fillers
- Smooth facial wrinkles and creases
- Improve facial symmetry
- Restore volume
- Plumps hollow cheeks & thin lips
- Hydrate the skin
- Promote the production of new connective tissues
Popular Dermal Fillers for Your 50s
- Calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA): One of the most popular dermal fillers used to rectify minimal-to-severe facial folds and lines and regain lost volume. Popular CaHA fillers include Radiesse.
- Poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA): These fillers are used to smoothen deep wrinkles on the face, with results lasting up to two years or more. Popular PLLA fillers include Sculptra Aesthetic.
- Renuva: An injectable matrix containing protein and collagen growth factors. This alternative filler restores face and neck volume, smoothes wrinkles, and improves skin texture.
V-Lyft: Facelift with Fat Transfer
Facelifts are a common trend among people in their 50s due to their effectiveness in enhancing a youthful appearance. The procedure removes and reduces sagging skin on the face and helps smoothen folds of skin found on the jawline and cheeks. This surgical procedure is more invasive but provides a more dramatic transformation.
Benefits of Facelift
- Remove excess skin & tightens lax skin
- Removal of scars
- Long-lasting youthful results
- Enhances contours of the jawline and neck
- Eliminates jowls, deep facial wrinkles, and folds
- Enhances facial symmetry
Popular facelift Options
1. Deep Plane/SMAS Facelift: removes sagging skin at the base of the chin and neck by lifting and strengthening the lax muscles of the face.
2. Mini Facelift: eliminates jowls that form around the lower half of the mouth and cheeks.
3. Mid-Facelift: removes excess or uses existing tissue to lift the cheeks and remove sagging, fine lines, and wrinkles.
4. Jawline Rejuvenation: this involves removing excess fat cells around the neck to allow the surgeon to contour and reshape the jaw line.
5. Cutaneous Lift: targets the lower areas of the face by removing excess skin and stretching it to remove wrinkles and tighten the face.
6. Liquid Facelift: This is one of the most popular facelift procedures. It involves injectable serums such as Botox, Restylane, and Dysport being injected into the face to target the problem area.
This skin-resurfacing procedure uses a handheld device to eliminate the outermost damaged layer of the skin. It promotes cellular regeneration and encourages smoother and firmer skin.
Our personal favourite is the Diamond Glow Microdermabrasion treatment! This form of dermabrasion uses advanced technology to simultaneously exfoliate, extract, and infuse the skin with a serum customised to your primary skin concerns. Three treatments for the price of one.
Benefits of Dermabrasion
- Reduces crow’s feet & fine lines
- Corrects sun damage & improves age spots
- Removes red, thick skin on the nose
- Enhances skin texture and improves tone
- Restores hydration
- Eliminates dead skin cells & encourages cell regrowth
- Removal of stretch marks
Popular Dermabrasion Trends
- Crystal Microdermabrasion: This procedure involves using a device that sprays tiny exfoliating crystals on the skin. An attached vacuum then sucks the crystals into the device to detach loosened or dead skin.
- Diamond Glow Microdermabrasion: A diamond-tipped hand-held device performs lymphatic drainage through vacuum suction. The unique procedure is best for debris and dead skin removal, leaving you with a brighter, firmer skin tone.
Your eyes are one of the first areas to demonstrate signs of aging. The eyelids tend to droop over time, giving you a tired look and possibly affecting your vision.
Eyelids stretch when one grows older due to the weakening of and reduction of support tissues. This results in excess skin and fat deposition around and below your eyelids. Blepharoplasty is a surgical procedure that eliminates excess skin and fat pockets from the eyelids.
Benefits of Blepharoplasty
- Make eyes appear sharper and more alert
- Improves facial symmetry
- Promotes a youthful appearance
- Eliminates the “tired” appearance
- Improves visual impairments
- Makes the forehead appear smoother
- Long-term results
Popular Blepharoplasty Trends
1. Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty: The procedure involves the removal of skin, muscle, or fat tissue around the eyelid. It’s a balanced cosmetic procedure focusing on the eyelid crease’s height and shape.
2. Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty: The procedure involves a transconjunctival approach to the lower eyelid. Also, a focus on volume restoration and balance has caused a shift from aggressive tissue removal in the lower eyelid.
This facial cosmetic procedure uses lasers to improve skin texture and tone and treat minor facial flaws. Individuals in their 50s have reported excellent results and a boost in confidence and self-esteem!
Types of Lasers
1. Ablative Laser: Eliminates the skin’s thin outer layer and heats the dermis, which is the underlying skin, then stimulates collagen growth. Collagen is a protein that is crucial for the improvement of skin firmness and tightness. The treated areas become smooth and tight as the skin heals. Standard ablative lasers include Carbon dioxide, erbium, and combination systems lasers.
2. Non-Ablative Laser or Light Source: This involves stimulating the skin and making the collagen grow. It has a shorter recovery time, and the results are slightly less dramatic. Standard non-ablative lasers include erbium, pulsed-dye lasers, and intense pulsed light therapy.
Benefits of Laser Resurfacing
- Removes age & sun spots, redness, & discoloration
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines
- Promotes collagen production
- Skin Tightening benefits
- Reduces visible scarring
- Reduces pore size
- Long-lasting results
Popular Laser Resurfacing Trends
1. Erbium Contour TRL Resurfacing: A customizable laser resurfacing treatment to reduce fine and deep wrinkles and lines, scarring, sun damage, and pigmentation.
2. Halo Fractional Laser Resurfacing: A rejuvenating procedure that improves skin texture and tone. This treatment targets and reverses signs of aging to reveal a smooth, youthful appearance.
3. Fraxel: This procedure is best known for wrinkle reduction, treating crow’s feet, and sun damage. The process makes the skin tighter to give it a youthful look.
A tummy tuck, also referred to as abdominoplasty, seeks to enhance the appearance and shape of the abdomen. This cosmetic procedure removes extra skin and fat from the a from the belly area.
Fascia (connective tissue around the abdomen) is tightened with sutures, and the remaining skin is repositioned, promoting a uniform and toned appearance.
Tummy Tuck Benefits
- Improves posture
- Reduces sagging or lax skin on the abdomen
- Tightens underlying abdominal muscles
- Allows for a greater range of motion
- Removes excess fatty tissue
- Relieves back pain
- Minimal risk of complications
Popular Tummy Tuck Trends
1. Extended Tummy Tuck: The procedure involves an incision around the hips to eliminate skin from a wider area, especially if the individual has had a massive weight loss. Removal of excess skin strengthens the abdominal wall to give a slimmer and more toned appearance.
2. Fleur-De-Lis Tummy Tuck: This technique is ideal for patients who need large amounts of skin and fat removal to achieve the best post-operation contour. This procedure also involves muscle tightening where necessary, albeit more prevalent in a regular tummy tuck.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best facial treatment for over 50?
- Wrinkle fillers are effective if you want to plump up your skin and eliminate lines.
- Chemical peels will remove freckles and lines and smoothen your skin around the mouth and eyes.
- To rejuvenate your appearance and complexion, you will want to go for microdermabrasion or microneedling.
Is 55 too old for rhinoplasty?
Cosmetic nose surgery has no age limitations. A rhinoplasty is ideal for men and women in overall good health. Surgeons have expressed particular concerns about long-term effects on the older population. However, there is also a nonsurgical rhinoplasty for those unfit for surgery.
What is the oldest age for a tummy tuck?
Plastic surgery generally has no rigid age limitations. The ideal candidate for tummy tucks is in overall good health, will benefit from the procedure, and has no contraindications that inhibit or slow the recovery process.
What is the safest cosmetic procedure?
Minimally invasive procedures such as neurotoxins, energy devices, fillers, and lasers pose no substantial risks of adverse effects. Noninvasive and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures are generally considered the safest. However, a skilled plastic surgeon can perform more substantial cosmetic surgeries safely and effectively and with more dramatic effects.
What is the newest skin-tightening procedure in 2022?
Have you heard of Sofwave treatment? This is the latest non-invasive and most advanced procedure using 3D ultrasound technology to tighten your skin. It mainly focuses on saggy skin (in the jowl), eyelids, brows, wrinkles, and jawline.
What is the best procedure for aging skin?
The best treatments for early aging signs would be alpha hydroxy acids, retinoids, and vitamin C. Other options would be dermabrasion, ultrasound devices, chemical peels, or laser resurfacing.